Once you or your child have decided to compete in Saddlebred Equestrian events attended by Longview Stables, there are a number of things to consider and be aware of. We wanted to share all the little things you need to purchase up front so you may plan for it.
Saddleseat show attire is very specific, but generally a unisex approach. In Academy classes, where the rider is using one of the Longview Stables lesson horses in the show ring, below is a list of items and apparel you’ll need prior to the show date.
We recommend contacting Martha Pope @ The Good Habit at least 30 days in advance of any show you choose to participate in. Martha specializes in consignment saddleseat apparel for all ages & is much more cost effective than having something custom made for your child. She also takes consignments, so as your child grows, you can exchange your show clothes and save some money!
Either via her website or e-mail, she will send you all the measurements you need to take to properly fit your child & will send you a number of selections in the mail. Choose & pay for those which you care for, return the rest.
Academy Class Attire Requirements:
- Vest & Shirt
- Tiebar (This bar attaches the lapels of the shirt, underneath the tieknot)
- Number Magnets (These jeweled magnets attach competition numbers to the back of the vest, Safety pins work, but aren’t as fancy!)
- Jodphurs (Jods) (Jods are equestrian slacks/pants for show riders that include a strap to ensure they stay extended to the end of the paddock boots while riding & typically have a flare at the bottom)
- Paddock Boots
- Hairspray, Hairnet, Hair-pins, etc (For the girls & ladies, hair is typically pulled into a low bun, supported by a hairnet & hairpins. At all the shows, there are plenty of parents to help you out if you bring the supplies!)
- For additional details please review the following document Longview Stables Academy Team Show Attire Requirements
By the time you move on & acquire your own horse, you’ll be well versed in the requirements for junior or adult classes.
If you do have questions about equipping for the show ring, please do contact us with any questions!